Molineux


Molineux, Webb and Co. was established in Kirby St, Ancoats, Manchester in 1827. Pigot's directory of 1830 lists Marginnis Molineaux and Co, but in 1832 there are 2 firms, Molineux, Webb Ellis and Co, and Robinson Perrim and Marginnis.

The founder was Thomas Webb II who manfactured bowls for railway lamps, lenses for ships' lamps, and later domestic glassware. Molineux and Co registered their first design in 1846. Glass from the early period cannot be identified, until 1860 when they began to register designs.

Molineux and Webb registered about 60 designs (as Molineaux Webb and Co from 1865-90 - note the spelling change in 1865). In 1864, they registerd the well-known greek key pattern, which was used on comports, dishes, celeries, plates, jugs and basins. In 1875, they produced a paperwirght in the form of a black opaque sphinx, their only 3-dimensional ornament.

They issued some designs for imitation cut-glass, but also produced other items which were not of pressed glass, such as decanters, glasses and other tableware. and pieces in engraved and cut glass. New designs appeared throughout the century, such as ornamental flower holders in opalescent glass.

The firm ceased trading in 1927.

Molyneux sugar
Molyneux bowl
Sugar, squares pattern. Diamond mark, 28 Sept 1881 Large shallow bowl, frosted, greek key pattern. Diamond mark 22nd Dec 1864
Molyneux dish
Molyneux dish
Oval dish, with Art Nouveau-style design. Rd 271700 26 Feb 1896. Another view.
Molyneux dish
.
Large oval dish, with pattern of raised dots. Diamond mark 27 Aug 1864 .
Molyneux dish
Molyneux dish
Bonbon dish, frosted, with 2 rows of clear beads. Diamond mark 24th Aug 1864. Another view.
Molyneux plate
Molyneux plate
Round plate, with frosted background and pattern of diamonds, and a scalloped edge. Diamond mark 7th Jan 1880. Another view.

BACK to Title Page